Are you passionate about marine conservation and sustainable fisheries? Do you have a keen eye for detail and a love for the coastal environment? This role offers a unique opportunity to make a positive impact on the coastal environment and the livelihoods of local fishermen working within this world class MSC accredited cockle fishery.
KENT AND ESSEX INSHORE FISHERIES AND CONSERVATION AUTHORITY
Salary: KR7/8 (£25,864 to £33,722) including 10% anti-social uplift
Location: Brightlingsea, Essex
About the role
- You will be involved in the monitoring and management of the cockle fisheries in the Kent & Essex district by taking part in surveys on land and at sea and conducting assessments to ensure sustainable harvesting.
- You will work closely with local fishermen and stakeholders to educate and inform them of the new legislation that Kent & Essex IFCA is introducing as well as enforce regulations and ensure compliance with fishing laws.
- You will have previous experience in fisheries management, enforcement, or a related role with knowledge of cockle fisheries and marine conservation, with a focus on MPAs. We would expect you to have experience and be comfortable with going to sea as some of your duties will involve surveying at sea as well as boarding fishing vessels.
- You will hold strong communication and interpersonal skills for engaging with stakeholders, together with an understanding of relevant fisheries regulations and legislation.
- You will be proficient in data collection and reporting and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- You must be ready to work some unsocial hours (e.g. weekends and at night), for which the post attracts a 10% uplift in salary. You will also be required to tackle physically demanding duties in a challenging marine environment and as such, we’ll expect you to meet the standard required to obtain a Seafarers Medical Certificate (ENG1) to be able to inspect fishing vessels both when in port and when working at sea.
At present Kent & Essex IFCA employs 14 full time staff,1 part-time staff member and a part time financial advisor. In addition to this the Authority also contributes to the services of the Clerk, Chairman and Vice-chairman.
The first-round interviews for this post will be held on 20 March 2024 in Brightlingsea, Essex. If you are selected for an interview you will be expected to provide a ten minute presentation to the interview panel.
Click here for further information and click here to download an application form. Should you wish to talk to someone about this post then please ring Dominic Bailey on 07538 051116. Please return applications to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 3 March 2024